Rather like my penchant for male thriller writers whose surnames begin with "C" I also have a thing for the Gardner/Gardiner duopoly - Lisa and Meg. And, of course, I only began reading one having confused her with the other.
Lisa is NOT the one championed by Stephen King, the one who can't get a deal in her native Americ for her Evan Delaney novels (read 'em, I implore you). No, that one is Meg. This one is Lisa without-an-I-Gardner, and spins off from earlier novels of hers. Helps if you have read them, doesn't hurt if you haven't. This is taut and efficient, a page-turner and satisfying in itself. It won't live forever in the memory, but deals with disappeared wife, suspect husband, nearby sex offender trying to live a straight life. Nothing is as it seems, and Ms Gardner manages to conceal the twists yet make them wholly inevitable when they are finally bought to light.

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds